These bowls are surprisingly easy (and inexpensive) to make. Each bowl has less than 400 calories all while maintaining that rich, creamy flavor you love about your favorite take-out burrito. In addition to being low in calories and fat, these bowls are also packed full of vegetables, delivering the vitamins and minerals your body needs to keep it at peak performance. And since each recipe makes two servings, you’ll have the perfect amount of food for tonight’s dinner and tomorrow’s lunch!
Chicken Burrito Bowl with Fresh Pico de Gallo & Creamy Chipotle Sauce
These bowls are surprisingly easy (and inexpensive) to make. Each bowl has less than 400 calories all while maintaining that rich, creamy flavor you love about your favorite take-out burrito. In addition to being low in calories and fat, these bowls are also packed full of vegetables, delivering the vitamins and minerals your body needs to keep it at peak performance.
For the Chipotle Sauce:
1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons canned chipotle peppers, pureed
For the Pico de Gallo:
1/2 cup roma tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon red onion, diced
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
For the Burrito Bowl:
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup boneless and skinless chicken breast, chopped fine
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 cup baby arugula
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup black beans (canned or cooked)
1/4 cup fresh avocado, pit removed, peeled, and mashed
- For the Chipotle Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients. Stir until mixed well and smooth. Set aside.
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- For the Burrito Bowl:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until the chicken is firm and cooked through. Remove from heat and toss the chicken in 2 teaspoons of the lime juice and set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together the arugula, spinach and lettuce. Divide the greens between two large serving bowls. In sections, place the corn and black beans on top of the lettuce. Combine the avocado and remaining lime juice. Place in the avocado mix in another section over the greens.
- Next, divide the chicken in half and place the chicken over the greens in it’s own section, and last the fresh pico de gallo.
- Drizzle the chipotle sauce over top. Serve.
- Yield: 2 Servings | Serving Size: 1 bowl | Calories: 392 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 49 g | Fiber: 12 g | Sugar: 6 g | Protein: 30 g | Cholesterol: 43 mg | Sodium: 414 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4